Fire on Hesworth Common

Fire crews were called to Hesworth Common yesterday (8th August) after a dog walker saw smoke and raised the alarm. Two appliances attended and put out the fire, believed to have been caused by a campfire that was not properly extinguished. It is fortunate that the fire was discovered quickly and prevented from spreading to the whole common and neighbouring properties.

We would like to remind visitors to Hesworth Common that campfires and disposable barbeques are not allowed. Discarded glass and cigarettes can also cause wildfires, so visitors are urged not to light fires,  to take all rubbish away with them and to take extra care during the current tinder-dry conditions.